"Personal information" is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples include an individual's name, address and email address.
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold about you depends on the nature of your dealings with us and the circumstances of collection, including whether we collect the information from you as a customer, supplier, contractor, job applicant or in some other capacity.
- we may collect your name, telephone number and email address if you contact us with a customer inquiry, request information, provide feedback or correspond with us;
- if you submit an order through our website, we will collect information to fulfil your order including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card number), email address and phone number; and
- if you deal with us in some other capacity, we may collect your name and contact details and any other information you choose to provide to us.
We may also collect details of the interactions you have with us.
We do not generally collect sensitive information (such as health information) and we will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise required or authorised by or under law to do so).
If you are or have been our employee, the handling of your personal information may be exempt from the Australian Privacy Principles if it is directly related to your employment relationship with us.
How we collect personal information
We collect personal information in a variety of ways, including when you interact with us in writing, electronically or by telephone or when you communicate with us through our website or social media channels.
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for a range of purposes, including:
- to supply our products;
- to respond to enquiries about our products;
- to process your orders and communicate with you about those orders;
- to process payments made to us;
- to screen orders made on our website for potential risk or fraud;
- to improve and optimise our website (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the website) and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns;
- if you enter one of our competitions or promotions, to administer your participation in that competition or promotion;
- for our administrative purposes and internal record keeping;
- to provide you with customer service or technical support, and deal with any complaints or feedback you have;
- to perform research and analysis, and improve or develop our products;
- to manage our relationships with our customers, suppliers and contractors; and
- to consider job applicants for current and future employment.
We may use and disclose your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law (including purposes for which you have provided your consent).
If we are unable to collect personal information from or about you, we may not be able to respond to your requests or enquiries or engage in other dealings with you.
We may use your personal information to contact you with information about our products, special offers, promotions and events that may be of interest to you. You can let us know at any time if you no longer wish to receive these communications, by contacting us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) or using the opt-out/unsubscribe facility in our communications. Your consent will be deemed if you do not opt out when we offer you the opportunity to do so, and will remain current until you advise us otherwise.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
In conducting our business, we may disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes outlined above. These third parties may include, where appropriate:
- financial institutions for payment processing;
- our contracted service providers, including:
- delivery and shipping providers;
- information technology service providers;
- marketing, promotional and market research agencies; and
- external business advisors (such as auditors and lawyers);
- in the case of a sale of our business (in whole or part), to the purchaser (as an asset of the business); and
- if you are a job applicant, referees whose details you have provided to us.
We may also disclose your personal information to other third parties and for other purposes where we are required or authorised by or under law to do so (including where you have provided your consent).
Disclosure of personal information to recipients outside Australia
Some of our service providers are located outside Australia. As a result, personal information collected and held by us may be disclosed to recipients in other countries.
For example, we use Shopify to power our online store - you can read more about how Shopify handles your personal information (including where it handles your personal information) here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy.
We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use our website. You can read more about how Google handles your personal information (including where it handles your personal information) here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Our website (www.vehlaeyewear.com)
When you visit our website, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse our website, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the website, and information about how you interact with the website.
We collect this information using the following technologies:
- “cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org;
- “log files” track actions occurring on our website and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages and date/time stamps; and
- “web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
How we hold personal information, and quality and security of personal information
We generally hold personal information in computer systems, including computer systems operated for us by our service providers. We take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes taking appropriate security measures to protect electronic materials, and requiring our service providers to do so too.
We take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete, up to date and relevant. You can help us by letting us know (using the contact details at the end of this policy) about any changes to your personal information, such as your address and phone number.
Access to and correction of your personal information
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you would like to access or correct the personal information we hold about you. We will generally provide you with access to your personal information (subject to some exceptions permitted by law), but may charge an access fee to cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to you.
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have handled your personal information. We will inquire into your complaint and respond to you in writing within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
Contact details and additional information